2009年10月11日日曜日

Why we founded QuaTouch Inc.

I was struggling against a kind of pessimism about the future of my industry when I worked for Armonicos Co. Ltd, which developed 3D CAD software mainly for the car industry. Our sales of customized development accounted for 50% of our total sales, and I expected the market would keep shrinking gradually. CAD/CAM products had evolved for many years and they became too complicated to be developed casually. Clients hesitated to make large investments for such developments of CAD software. I didn't have a good vision for my future, so, I decided to quit the company. That was 4 years ago.

But my boss, who was one of the board members, wouldn't accept my resignation. Instead, he persuaded me to do something new with him to change our future. Finally, we decided to found a new affiliated company. We named the company QuaTouch, which stands for Quality Touch. The pronunciation of the name is similar to Ka-ta-chi, which means "shape" in Japanese. The aim of the new company is to develop some software for shape design with quality-touch usability.

What is the mission of the new company? I anticipated that a paradigm shift was coming to the 3D CAD industry and I wanted to ride the new wave. I wanted to develop new software which will promote this revolution in Japan. This revolution is a shift from continuous geometry modeling to discrete geometry modeling, like polygon mesh and point cloud. In other words, the revolution is a shift from the car industry to other industries, such as the medical industry or the hobby industry and so on.

This was the beginning of my journey. I will write about these revolutions and the challenges I might face in this blog.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿